Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Week 33, Day 1 in ECC: Antarctica


Okay, I thought I would blog today, since it went so well.

We started with reading about Samoa, which was so interesting. I love the fact that they ring the church bells at dusk to remind people to read their Bibles and pray.

Then we worked on Geography. I didn't dig out their passports. We looked at the globe and saw how it is at the bottom of the world. We also compared to how the Arctic is mostly ocean and the Antarctic is mostly land. Then I had Rabbit do the map work as assigned.

After that we read our science pages and did our science experiments/demonstrations. The first one was to look at what an iceberg looks like in the ocean. I remembered to read through the manual last night, and "froze and iceberg" in the freezer overnight. Then we floated it in a clear bowl. I asked the kids what was most interesting, and Rabbit noticed how most of it was under the water. (Good job Rabbit! You got the point.) We also talked a little bit about the Titanic - I thought that might be an interesting tidbit of history. Here is our picture:


Then I demonstrated how the north and south poles are in the dark all of their winters. I used a flashlight and the globe in the bathroom (so we could really see it). Even the boys enjoyed looking at the iceberg and seeing how the sun hit the globe.

After snack, it was time for preschool with the boys. Tigger was having an attitude problem, so he spent the time in his room, and Pooh got an individual preschool. Rabbit worked on her copy work and science page.

Next up, All About Spelling. Rabbit was bummed because she hasn't had a chance to write spelling words in her new spelling book. All of it is review right now, but I felt like we should start from the beginning. We've gone through 5 steps in 3 days. Tomorrow we'll do some spelling.

In English she was suppose to copy all these "Proverbs and Maxims." Instead we just discussed them, since I knew copying would have produced a meltdown. Rabbit read from the book basket while I made lunch.

After lunch, she finished up her copy work and science page, and then we did reading together. I wanted to give her a break from writing before doing math. She's getting better about really thinking about whether she's reversing numbers, but still does it a little. She is now writing all the numbers in the right places, so that's a major improvement.

Lastly, we did another lesson in Scoring High. It was picking "Topic Sentences" for paragraphs. It was hard for her, and for a couple of them I thought the choices were too close to each other to pick one over another. Oh well. It is probably something we need to work on.

Besides Tigger's bad attitude, it seemed like a great day, and we were done by 2:15! I love it when that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment