Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Week 19 in CTG

Not a bad week, overall. More history this week. For Bible we have studied Ruth and Samuel. Those have been neat readings and discussions. Ruth's obedience to and trust of her mother-in-law is inspirational. It was fun to talk about Boaz redeeming Ruth, and compare that to Jesus redeeming us. Then, reading 1 Samuel and how God answered Hannah's prayer for a child, and then she willingly gave him back to the Lord! I have so much respect for that having lost a child of my own and knowing how hard that was.

For History, the main focus has been the Minoans and Myceneans. It has been interesting reading the information about those cultures and trying to figure out who the "sea people" were referenced in Hittite Warrior.

Science. Sigh. I was a bad mom. We didn't do any of it. We read it. We talked about it. We didn't even do the fish model. I told Rabbit that I had to do several dissections in 7th grade biology, and the inside of the animal never looked like the pictures in the book. About the only thing I ever successfully identified in a dissection was the heart. So, I wasn't that motivated.

In Spelling we finished Level 3 of All-About-Spelling today! The last two lessons - contractions and homophones were super easy for Rabbit. The fun part was we just covered contractions last week in English, so it all came together perfectly. Contractions she gets - writing less is very cool to her.

We finished off the "What I see out my window" lesson from Writing Strands this week. Rabbit only wrote about 2 items. Today she said, "But Mom! It's winter. It's boring outside. There are no birds no flowers and the grass is all covered with snow. I don't want to write about it." So, I let it go. She wrote one very good paragraph and one decent one. We'll move on.

In Math we finished Unit 11 in Delta today. Hmmm. At this rate, I don't think we'll finish by the end of our school year. I see math continuing over the summer. She gets how to do averages, her math just doesn't always add up (pun intended!).

Art has been going well. We often modify the lessons a little because of the weather or she's not interested in drawing exactly what the author has suggested. But, even then, sometimes she'll be doing her own free art, and then incorporate those ideas. So, overall, I think it has been good to at least read the book and see what he suggests.

I realized today that we start Week 20 tomorrow. We only have 14 weeks left of school! That just doesn't seem all that long. The CHEC Conference is in June. We'll have to see if we want to start early again this year, or just do school-lite over the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment