Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Science and Math with Rabbit

Okay, so after posting over at the MFW board with my troubles (meaning the amount of time Math was taking), some people recommended just reading the math text and doing it with her. That works much better. It also allows us to skip problems I know she can do. Sometimes I just have her tell me how she would solve them without going into the actual solving of the problem. Yeah, I know, being able to do the actual math is part of the battle, but this is taking us 50 minutes to an hour, which feels much better than 1.5 hours. Yesterday, for example, we just did all the problems on the white board. Today, we did them in the notebook.
We've started on Apologia's General Science, too - we're on lesson 3. Today a friend over at the MFW board let me know about a notebook it looks like Apologia will sell to go with General Science. It looks pricey ($33), but if it helps Rabbit take notes and such, I think it would be worth it. They have the first module as a sample, so I printed that out and we used that today, except for the science experiment. 
 
After we boiled the water, I saved the left over in an ice cube tray. I read about that on Donna Young's web site - to save time in the future.
I made a video of today's science experiment - at least the results:

It was certainly fun.

Rabbit is having dance camp in the mornings this week, so I've been doing handwriting and math with the boys. I'm doing it together, and so far that is working well. It is like a mini-class. It is a little difficult when one finishes before the other, but it usually doesn't take too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment