Sunday, October 14, 2012

1850MOD: Up to Week 7

We're really in the middle of week 8, but I thought I might get things updated.

Let's see... Bible is going fine. Some weeks the kids do better at memorizing the verse, than others. But, since they are already memorizing for AWANA I don't make it a big deal. Tigger has decided he wants to do all his copywork and dictation in cursive, even though he hasn't learned all the letters. That's fine, it just takes him longer to write in cursive, but he has the neatest handwriting. 

In history we had to learn the capitals. Rabbit and Tigger memorized them all. Pooh got 40 out of 50. I bought the Stack the States game for my iPad and I think that will help Pooh learn his states and capitals a lot better. 

I've been trying to make sure we get in the science for the boys. Pooh really enjoys science and thinks it is fun. We had one experiment (where you put a paper towel between two rulers and stick it in water) that at first we didn't think was working, but we left it for a couple of hours, and when we came back to it, it had worked! I wish the book would have given some indication on how long to wait. 

Most other things are going pretty well. Pooh's reading is gradually improving. At the beginning of the year he was only reading 5 to 6 pages in 10 minutes, and now he is up to 8 or 9 pages. So that's a big improvement. Math is going well with the boys. Tigger seems to have most of his math facts (at least addition) down. I'm not sure Pooh will ever be speedy on his math facts. I have them do xtramath.com and Math Blaster (on my iPad) every day as practice. We start multiplication soon, so I really want them to get these.

I feel bad for Rabbit some days. I'm having a hard time working in going over the Progeny Press guide with her, Writing Strands, and then checking her English and Spelling. And then, when I finally do, I see how many mistakes she's made. It is very hard to do her General Science and the regular science with the program for the boys. Plus, her math takes about 1 hour every day. We're not getting done with the core stuff before lunch, so that makes the days quite long. I keep thinking we'll figure out a better way to do this, but it never seems to work. Sigh.

Oh well, we're plowing along and getting school done. This week we have Presentation Day with our homeschool group, so that is going to mess a bunch of stuff up. Hopefully I will remember to get the kids prepared before Thursday morning.

1 comment:

  1. Long time MFW user and found your blog from their message boards... Just wanted to comment on your comment about your daughter finding it hard to do General Science AND the regular science-- it is my understanding that once they reach 7th grade, children bumpt OUT of the scheduled science in the core curriculum and only do the Apologia science (general-7th, physical-8th). If she's WANTING to do the other science that is another matter entirely, but it seems that you are saying she is burdened by it. Double check with MFW but I'm like 99% certain this is true. General Science is a LOT of science-- my 8th grader had an adjustment last year making that 'step up'. I also give her the freedom to not perform/write up every single experiment but that is just me-- some are things we've already done in the past and she remembers them. Anyway, just felt like I wanted to comment on the science stuff and share our experience. Blesssings to your family. Wendy

    ReplyDelete