Friday, August 22, 2014

CTG: Week 3; AHL Week 8

Okay, so with the boys liking pulling the paper strips out of the jar, I thought I'd make something a little more durable. I wrote all their subjects on craft sticks. (On the back side of some of them is what the other one is doing if it is a one-on-one subject.) I also lined the jar with black construction paper so they can't see the writing on the sticks. I only put in the subjects in the jar that are to be done that day.



At the beginning of the week, when I see a feast day coming up, I always get a bit nervous. But, I am determined not to let these feasts get the best of me. These are to glorify God, not stress me out.

Monday really seemed to be a long day. Then Tuesday I figured it out: we had a bunch of writing on Monday. There was a notebooking page in History, a notebooking page in Science, and writing out their Vocabulary. Tigger writes most of his stuff, but sometimes I scribe for him. And then I scribe for Pooh for most everything, so that made it take long. Plus there was the map work. 

Tuesday went much quicker, and the boys really liked the subjects on craft sticks. They worked pretty diligently and got done.

The rest of the week went smoothly. I took pictures of our timelines. Here are the ones on cardstock that we fold up and put in the front pocket of their history binders:




And then here is the start of the timeline on the wall. I am reusing our timeline figures from the first time, so some of the images are different than what is in the student packet.


Friday night we did our Rosh Hashanah feast. It was lovely. Here is our table setting:


The boys made the crown and we made 4 shofar horns - one for me, and one for each of the kids. We just put the one on the table. I just used packing paper because I didn't have a grocery bag to use. The ladder on the bread is a Lego ladder from the boys. Dad has been great this year in reading his parts for the feasts. It is really neat how they all point us to Christ. I missed lighting the candles, but that was okay because the crown kept falling off. The boys wouldn't try the apples dipped in honey, but the rest of us did. And the loaf of bread is just from our local Kroger store - it is called a sheepherder's loaf. It was very tasty.

With AHL, I started the week behind in the Old Testament Challenge and ended behind. But, I love how what we're doing in AHL can tie into CTG.  We're in Leviticus where Aaron's sons are killed for offering a foreign fire to the Lord. And the note in my study Bible compares it to Ananias and Saphira being killed for lying about the money they offered. Anyway, the conclusion of the note said that the people needed to know that the community existed for God, not vice versa. And that got me to thinking about the feasts. I often look at them as burdens. But God did not intend for them to be looked on that way. They are to bring Him glory. To remind us that we exist for Him. And it reminded me of a line from The West Wing (a TV show about the president of the U.S.): "I serve at the pleasure of the President." Just change "President" to Lord, God, Jesus Christ, or Holy Spirit and I think that is to be our attitude. Now, I'm not saying I have to do 100% of what the TM prescribes to do for these feasts, but I do think I need to have an attitude check and make sure I'm serving at the pleasure of God.

Adding in Biology made Monday go until 5:00pm. Whew, a little long. It has made for very long days all this week.

Rabbit is getting the literature subjects, but I've told her she needs to give more detailed answers in the Ancient History and Literature Supplement. Sometimes she just barely describes a person or situation instead of naming it. 

We've been going over her work daily. I skim through the books and ask questions of things I see, and then go over her answers to questions if she has any. She's doing pretty well.


1 comment:

  1. Great idea with the craft sticks! Looks like you had a great week. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete