Sunday, February 17, 2008

Not In Vain

"Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord. " - 1 Corinthians 15:58 NASB

It can be easy to feel that all this work we do for our kids is emptiness. That what we do each day doesn't matter. Especially when we've told them for the 100th time to pick up those toys or stop fighting with their siblings. But, I think homeschooling is the work of the Lord. We are trying to raise our kids to see Him as the most important part of life; trying to lead our kids to love and serve the Lord.

One week last year, I heard this verse from about 4 different sources. I had read it in my quiet time, and noticed I had highlighted it before, so I jotted it down in my journal. Then, at my home school support group, this was a verse used that night in the discussion. Then, our pastor at church used the verse in his message that Sunday and we talked about it in our small group that afternoon. So, I did a word study of this verse, and here is what I came up with:

"Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, be firm, do not be moved, at all times be in excess in the work of the Lord, knowing that your pains, trouble and weariness are not empty in the Lord."

Pains, trouble and weariness are what homeschooling and parenting are all about, and they are not in vain, because they are the Lord's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment