Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Glimpses of Progress

You ever wonder if your kid is going to get any better at something? You work at it and work at it and, sigh, you just think, "Is this ever going to get better?"

Rabbit has a small issue with writing. (Well, maybe it's a medium issue.) It is hard for her. Last year we did a lot of double dictation (she would tell me what to write, I would write it and she would copy it), and we still do it for notebooking assignments this year. For many writing assignments, I usually scale things back, or make things multiple choice, or write half of it for her, or something.

Well, the other day we were doing a science experiment with potatoes. (Yes, the one called "Potato Sponges.") Anyway, she got out a piece of paper and wrote 6 sentences (okay, she forgot to capitalize the first letter, but she remembered to put periods) about things she observed about potatoes while we waited for half of one to boil. This was totally her idea. I didn't even realize she had done it until I read the paper today (she left it on the counter). And, the really neat part was she didn't make that many spelling errors. I mean, she made a few, but not like she used to. It definitely wasn't the funky phonetic spelling that I used to see when she did stuff like this. I'm going to save the paper and put it in her science notebook.

Now, sometimes you feel like if you say something, you'l jynx it. But, I don't know, it's like something happened over Christmas. She's not complaining (too much) about writing. She seems to be trying real hard at all her school work. I don't know. It was just a glimpse that maybe it won't always be hard to get her to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment