Monday, June 9, 2014

ECC 2nd Edition: Done!

Well, I feel bad... I'm never good about keeping up the blog. We did finish, and I'd say it was a very successful year. And, we actually finished the curriculum on our last day of official school. That's the first time that happened!

Here are some random thoughts.


Rabbit did awesome on the final test. She knew every country we studied and a few extra. She also labeled oceans, some lakes, some rivers, and a few mountain ranges. The boys didn't do as well as she did. I would say they knew about half of the countries. That's pretty good, considering they only knew 3 or so countries at the beginning of the year.


Things I would do differently:


  1. More crafts. I would definitely have done more. It was a tough year for me trying to figure out how to juggle Rabbit doing the 8th grade supplement and getting the boys done. But, I should have figured out how to work it out.
  2. Read more book basket books as read alouds. Maybe just at bedtime or something, but I really think that would have enhanced it and made it more enjoyable for the boys.
  3. Be more strict on starting at 8:30a.m. All too often it was 9:00 or later and made our days drag out.
  4. Insist that Pooh do his math down here so I could make sure he was making progress. 
  5. Have the boys do a country report, too, even as 4th graders. Maybe just a display board and a few sentences on each topic, but I should have had them do something.
  6. Take more pictures of what we did.

I think Rabbit did a really good job on her country report on Andorra. She didn't make a display board, but she did a presentation of it at our homeschool group's last presentation day. 

I am a little sad. This is the last time we'll do Exploring Countries and Cultures. I actually sold my curriculum to a friend. Oh well, onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment