Friday, October 24, 2008

Week 8, Day 5 in ECC - Ahhhh

Ahhh. We finished Canada today. We still have to do a cooking project, but we need to run to the grocery store. Since this is grocery store day anyway, we'll do our cooking project this evening. We're thinking of doing the blueberry dessert.

The boys slept late again, but as Dad was home, not feeling too great, he said he would take care of them when they got up (at 9:00! - they're usually up between 6:30 and 7:30!). So, Rabbit got started on a math page while I cleaned up the kitchen after breakfast. Then we did pledge, Awana verses, and Bible time. When we reviewed all the memory verses for ECC, she knew them all with just the first word or two prompted. I was amazed. She knew those verses!

Then, we did repatterning. I'm starting to see improvement in her writing - she is putting more space between her words. I didn't see the lingering after effects that I sometimes see after repatterning today, either. Then I had her do her writing without curriculum assignment. Dad took the boys to run some errands, so we did spelling next. She got her three words from yesterday correct, but then missed "used," "move," and "whose." The great thing was, she didn't get upset. I've been doing new things with her on studying her missed words. We write them on the small whiteboard, and draw pictures on/around them to try to help her remember them. Then I have her spell them with the magnetic letters, and then write the word correctly. Some days I let her write the word in the corn meal. She seems to have finally relaxed about getting spelling words wrong. She is very excited when she gets them right, but she's not getting upset when she gets them wrong.

After that, we decided to go on our Nature Walk. We needed some maple leaves for our art project anyway, so it was a good excuse to go. It wasn't too cool, and we noticed the leave falling from the trees, and how the cattails have mostly died off. The ducks were gone, but someone mowed the grass around the stream where they hang out, and may have frightened them off. We got home just as Dad returned from errands.

After lunch, we worked on our art project from Tuesday. I don't think it worked out as well as it could have. Our clay felt pretty stiff, even working it a lot. But, Rabbit seemed to enjoy it anyway. Then we worked on a couple more pages of the Geography packet. I had found a book this summer at a book fair for 50 cents or a dollar that has paper doll type crafts with dolls from many countries. She found it and it just so happened to have dolls for Canada and Mexico, so she wanted to do those, so I photocopied those onto cardstock for her. Then, I saw that there was one for Brazil, so I photocopied that to use on a slow day for sometime during the next three weeks as we study Brazil.

I asked Rabbit if she liked the new curriculum. She said, "Yes. I'm learning so much about all these places." She is really looking forward to the Geography Fair in the spring. Ahhhh. What a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment