Friday, January 9, 2009

Week 16 in ECC: Germany

Okay, so getting back into the swing of things, I forgot to update my blog every day this week, so I thought I would run a "week in review" summary.

For Bible time, we continued working on Rabbit's Awana verses this week. From Window on the World we learned about another European country. (I don't want to say specifically, because I wouldn't want to violate copyright. I would feel really bad if someone pieced together ECC from reading my blog!) I wouldn't have thought of this particular country as "third world," but they certainly have problems there. We studied our passages from Matthew and had a few good discussions. Rabbit seems to have lost a little of her ability to narrate over the Christmas break, so I'm breaking down the passages into smaller chunks for narration. Reading about Martin Luther this week has been great. I knew about his list of issues he had with the Roman Catholic church - but I didn't know all that other neat stuff.

For Geography, our focus was on Germany. The boys wanted to ride horses from France to Germany, so they did that, while Rabbit sat in the "stage coach." I don't know where they got that idea, but it was fun. I let all the kids make the German flag. I ran out of red construction paper, so I had Rabbit color a piece of white construction paper red. We played the Geography Game, version 2, twice this week, and Rabbit won both times. On Friday, we spent about 15 minutes going through the Geography Packet doing the fun pages.

We had a really good week in Science. Rabbit actually did science pages this week. One of our activities was to "Map a Forest Area." So, we went into the back yard and discussed each tree - was it coniferous or deciduous, about how old it might be, whether or not it was still alive (we have a couple of aspens on their last legs), etc. We took a picture of the back yard, Rabbit dictated a paragraph to go with it, and made that our science page for one of our days.

For seatwork, Rabbit worked on copying her memory verse, math facts, and her Awana verses, and sometimes some spelling activities. I did preschool every day but Friday with the boys during this time. The boys were glad to be back in the regular swing of things.

Writing eights were a struggle for Rabbit this week. On Thursday, I let her trace over with her finger, since she had all the texture of the previous 3 days worth of crayon on the page. On Friday, we had the Writing Repatterning. I explained we only had to do it for 4 or 5 weeks. She seemed pleased with that. I was looking ahead, though, and it looks like we're suppose to do Auditory Reprocessing for 18 to 24 weeks! The other thing I read was about doing the cross-legged toe touches every day except on repatterning day. I've been forgetting to do them. I need to double check the white board and make sure they're on the list.

English was good this week. We did everything orally. And then we did the "writing without curriculum" ideas from Dianne Craft. She is a little less wordy than she was before the break - which I think is good. On Friday, I let her writing assignment be writing her pen pal.

Some of the Book Basket books have been fun to read. And after doing the "Map the Forest" book, Rabbit took one of the books that talked about trees, and took it outside to help study our trees. I really like that she was trying to learn something on her own.

We are almost caught up reading about George Muller. Rabbit asked if God would take care of us the way He took care of George Muller and his orphans. I said, "Absolutely, yes." It is amazing how faith-filled he was, and how his example affected others.

Rabbit is having trouble with her times 6's. She'll know them for a little while, and then 15 minutes later, forget. I'm thinking of having her maybe do some Math-U-See math drill after she does book basket while I'm making lunch. I'll give her a times table and let her use that to look at when she doesn't know. Maybe 10 minutes doing that for a week would help. We've tried jumping on the trampoline while saying the facts; using the right-brained flash cards; using the magnetic numbers; and teaching some Barbie dolls. The only thing I haven't had her do is actually write them out - the whole problem with the answer. I was thinking of making a page and just having her trace over the top.

Spelling went well this week. I asked her about switching, but she says she doesn't want to, that the new way is "fun." (Could have fooled me!) She got 100% on her test on Thursday, so I didn't retest on Friday.

We're still using Power Glide Spanish. We're really trying to learn the Tres Osos story well this week.

Really, the week went well, except for math facts and me starting us late a couple of days. But, we got right back into the swing of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment