Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Week 19, Day 2 in ECC

Today, I managed to keep us on task, and in spite of the work load, we got it done.

We started Bible time a little earlier than usual, and worked through Rabbit's Awana verses. Then we did our 1 minute of cross crawls. It is really cute when Tigger joins in. He will do 4 or 5 correctly and then get "off," and have to stop and think before he gets back on track. But, he is doing them by himself. After that, we did ECC's Bible time. We read about Samuel Morris. It was amazing to think that God spoke to him audibly. Then it was time for the dictation of the memory verse. Rabbit really fussed about doing it, and it seemed to take forever.

After that, we did ear eights - just Rabbit and I, and then moved on to Geography. We read about the "nature" of Africa - animals and climates. Then we played the Geography Game. Just Africa today. I think I know where most of the countries are now. I help Rabbit by playing "warmer/colder" with her. We did our lunges, and then moved on to science. We read about how different animals survive when there is no place to hide, like in the grasslands.

We were doing good at this point, time-wise. So, we moved on to snack time and Spanish. While Rabbit was eating her snack and listening to the Spanish CD, I put together our crockpot meal. I gave Rabbit a 15 minute break, since we were ahead. After the break, we did lesson 3 of Sequential Spelling. She is starting to get it, but I think it might take a week or two before it fully sinks in.

Rabbit had to finish her science page, do on-line math drill, and work on an Awana page for seatwork. The boys and I read Ndito Runs. Tigger got a kick out of the name "Ndito." Then we worked on our verse, "... love your neighbor as yourself." Of course, Pooh said he only needed to say it once. We did calendar time, and worked on our days of the week and months of the year. Then, we practiced our phone number and worked on learning our address. After that we played games with the "Fit-a-Space" toy from My Father's World. First I had them string matching colors on the string. Then, I had them fill in the circles with the shapes, naming the shapes as they went. Next we worked on patterns - like red, green, red, green, what comes next? We did several of those going up to 4 colors. Then, I layed out 3 of one shape, but in different colors. I had them cover their eyes, and I removed one shape. I asked them which color was missing. We did that a couple of times. And finally, I placed them in a certain order (like, white, orange, blue), had them cover their eyes, and I mixed them up and when they opened their eyes they had to put them in the right order. They had lots of fun with that today.

Now it was time for writing eights. I let Rabbit just do it with her finger. But, I had to keep reminding her to go slower. Then, we continued on lesson 122 in English. We just did the next paragraph (one sentence) in the dictation. Tomorrow we will finish up. We had enough time before lunch at that point to play Mancala for 10 minutes. We got in two games. We tied the second. While I made lunch, Rabbit read books from the book basket, and worked on her Awana page.

After lunch, we read the next chapter in David Livingstone. Then, the boys had quiet time. We did another page in math. When I came down, she only had about 4 or 5 problems done, so I started working them on the whiteboard with her. She really liked that, and wanted to pretend there was a whole class with her. It seems to help her when she hears the problems talked out loud. We did Lesson 5 from Sequential Spelling next. She is starting to get it, and has no problems "fixing" her own mistakes. Again, she wanted to pretend there was a whole class with her.

After this, we did reading time. The stories were rather short today, so we read 3 of them. Then, we worked on "Scoring High." She did fine with it - it only took us about 5 minutes, to my surprise. After that, we picked an art project. I had her pick one of the easier ones. I told her I would make sure I had everything ready for next week for one of the other ones she really wants to do..

Me staying on task and getting us started on time was a big help to keeping our day running smoothly. It feels good that I was disciplined, and now I'll have time to do the other commitments I need to do today.

No comments:

Post a Comment