Thursday, August 19, 2010

RTR Day 1, MFW 1st Day 9

Our first day where we actually combined both curricula. Whew!

Rabbit said she was feeling up to school this morning, so I decided to go ahead and start. Of course, since Rabbit was back, the boys wanted a story from Prudence and the Millers, so we did that, and then went over the boys' verse from Proverbs. I emphasized that working hard was a wise choice.

After that, we did the Rome to the Reformation (RTR) history portion for the day. It was the discussion of the legend of the founding of Rome. It was interesting that each book we read had a slightly different version of the story. One just said there were twin infant boys who were left in the woods and a wolf raised them until a shepherd rescued them. Another said the twin boys were the sons of the god Mars. And the other said that an evil uncle threw them in the river, and a wolf rescued them. One of the sources didn't even mention how they fought and how Romulus killed Remus, but the other two did. But even between the remaining sources, only one of them mentioned they were fighting over what to name Rome.

Rabbit had to do a notebook page on the "Founding of Rome" so I put the picture of the statue of the boys nursing from the wolf in a document and put some lines underneath for her to write on. I got the picture from the internet links recommended in the Usborne book. Her summary was funny. It said, "The Romans think that this happened..." and she kept emphasizing the think part, because she was trying to point out that it was just a legend.

While Rabbit was off doing her notebook pages, I worked with the boys. It went pretty smoothly with each of them. Pooh is working so hard on his blending. He's really starting to get it, but every now and then it's like his brain says, "I'm going to say this backwards." I showed him that we are almost done with reviewing the letters and were going to start reading words soon. I printed out a dot-to-dot and a maze from abcteach.com for the boys to do during reading time. During math, I gave the one I wasn't working with some muffin tins and the Lauri Fit-a-Shape toy and told him to sort them in as many different ways as possible. The Daily Math Activities have started going a little smoother, so that's been good. I had one more math literature book called A Collection for Kate that I read to the boys after that.

After lunch Rabbit and I went back to work. She worked on her Latin root "unus." I am doing the same thing as last year. I'm writing the definition and words on the back of the 4x6 cards, and then using a sheet I made in Word she writes the definition, draws a picture, and writes at least one other derived word and it's definition. Tomorrow she'll use something I bought from currclick.com to write her sentences on.

Next we did the Roman Numerals for math. I still have my Math-U-See Delta stuff from last year, so we watched the DVD and did one of the workbook pages on Roman Numerals. I'm not sure that she really got it yet, so I'm going to make a small sheet that tells the values of the symbols and the 3 rules for using the symbols and put that up in the school room for her to refer to. Then, once a week for the next few weeks, have her do a page from the old Delta workbook. I just want to make sure she gets how they work, and I'm not sure if we'll cover them again in math.

When we were done with that, I remembered that the boys had a Drawing with Children lesson (which Rabbit joins in on). Tigger was kind of frustrated with just scribbling and experimenting with the markers. He wanted to draw something, so I said he could. Pooh thought learning the different elements of shape was cool, and he enjoyed trying to find them around the room.

This evening we did tomorrow's Bible lesson. My husband has offered to help by doing the Bible from RTR the evening before. However, tonight he was doing the dishes since he got home late, so I read the lesson during snack time so he was able to hear what we were studying. The boys joined in asking questions and making comments about what we learned. I'm sure they'll want to do the project tomorrow.

One other thing we didn't get to in 1st grade was Spanish. I'm not sure how I'm going to work that in yet. We'll have to see how long things take tomorrow with adding science in, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment