Tuesday, August 24, 2010

RTR Day 4, MFW 1st Day 13

Our day started off with Rabbit having a bloody nose. It took me an hour to get it to stop. So, we didn't start our school time until 9:10. That was a bit of a set back. Then, because we had a Keepers of the Faith meeting the night before, we didn't do today's Bible last night. So, we had to start with that. It was good, though, to read about the lives of many of the New Testament authors.

Then we did History. We read about the Conquest of Greece and the Fall of the Roman Republic. We also started Augustus Caesar's World. That should be an interesting book. I'm going to have to be careful, though, with Rabbit and the mention of other gods. She tends to take that to heart too much.

Next up was Science. We read the lesson, and then did the demonstration on how and why things can get through a cell membrane. I almost didn't do it, but it really made the concepts sink in for Rabbit.

I got Rabbit going on her seatwork, and did the boys reading time. This was the first day of reading words. Both of them did great. They each had one word they tripped over, but overall they did fine with it. Even reading the little sentences and cutting them out and pasting them under the correct picture went well. And, they were really excited to be able to use their special red pencils. The amazing thing was, each of them finished in less than 20 minutes!

By the time we finished with Reading time, it was 11:00. I finally remember that I wanted to do a fun sorting activity with the kids. On Monday I had bought their favorite candies. Today it was time to sort them. So, I printed out a blank chart for each of them. Then I gave each of them about 1/4 cup of their candy. Pooh said, "Mom, I think the only way to sort these is by color." So, that's what they did. Then I showed them how to fill in their chart. We used a crayon the color of each candy, and marked the graph with that. They loved this activity, especially since they got to eat the candies afterward. Even Rabbit did this.

After that, Rabbit went back to seatwork, and it was time for the Daily Math Activities. That was more of a challenge, because today's number of the day was 10 and we needed to glue the beans onto the craft stick. I said, "You know, there is a rule that we can't have more than 9 things in a cup. But, if we glue the 10 beans onto the stick, the stick will be one thing and then that can move into the tens cup." They really liked that little story. I didn't really want to wait forever for white glue to dry, so I got out my hot glue gun (my favorite crafting tool), and we used that to glue the beans to the stick.

It was 12:30 before we took our lunch break, and didn't get going again until 2:00. First we worked on the boys scrolls. Each day they've practiced writing their letters on a sheet. Today we glued them together side-by-side and then used masking tape to tape them to the wooden dowels. Here is Pooh with his scroll:
He thought it was cool that he was about as tall as his scroll. Here is Tigger with his:
One thing I did was to take a sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper and cut it in half, and then add it to the left of the sheet that has Aa-Ff on it. That way there would be more room to see the letters and they wouldn't get covered up by the dowel. here is the final product:
So, the boys were done, and it was time to finish up with Rabbit. We did Math, Reading, Spelling, English, and Writing Strands to finish up her day. Then it was time to make the Wax Writing Tablets. For Rabbits, I followed the instructions in the book. Except, I used my hot glue gun and I think you need to put the little 1/2 inch side walls on the TOP of the edge of the bottom 5x7 piece, not the side like I did hers:
Then, of course, the boys each wanted one. I decided to do theirs a little smaller - about 4x6. For theirs, I made sure the side pieces sat on top of the base piece. I think theirs worked better. Here's Pooh's tablet:
And finally, Tiggers:
They loved these and played with them all evening. Rabbit practiced her Roman numerals. Pooh practiced writing addition problems. And Tigger drew pictures. So, in spite of it being 4:30 before we finally finished for the day, I'm glad we did this activity.

1 comment:

  1. I still have to do this one. I don't have the right kind of clay..bummer. But there is still the weekend! Good to find someone else who is doing R2R. I found you on the blogroll :)

    ReplyDelete