Monday, August 4, 2014

AHL: Week 5

Rabbit had another essay this week. They expected the student to write the essay on day one. This was pretty challenging for her - it took her two days to get an essay ready. And then all the Ancient Literature Supplement work was to work with the essay! So, we've been kind of a day behind on this one. 

Her biggest challenge was turning the suggested topics into a thesis. She finally decided that her thesis would be "Gilgamesh is not god-like at all." Her three reasons: he is not loving, not slow to anger, and not a savior. She did a good job with supporting quotes from the Epic of Gilgamesh. I helped her find quotes from the Bible to show God's character.

I think it is really a challenge being the mom and the teacher. I remember my mom helping me with my essays and papers in high school, but she wasn't my teacher. Now, I'm helping Rabbit, but I'm also the teacher, so I know how I'm going to grade it. Sometimes it is hard to wrap my head around it. I ended up giving her a 9.2 out of 10 on it.

She got behind in Logic this week. But, we had a lot of appointments and other things going on this week.

Math was also a challenge, but we got two lessons done. We're going to shoot for 3 days next week. 

She did good in History, only missing a couple of questions. She is still not checking the review questions herself in the History book. But, if I go over it with her, it can give us good discussions.

She has also been keeping up in Bible - answering in complete sentences and everything.

Overall, not a bad week. Next we start Creation to the Greeks with the boys, and Rabbit will add in Spanish. I need to look over Rabbit's work everyday to make sure it is completed and she's been thorough.

No comments:

Post a Comment