Monday, August 4, 2014

MFW CTG: Day 1, The Second Time

Wow! I am glad today is over. It was a good day. I had no tears from Pooh and Tigger, and Rabbit only had a couple of tears.

We started at about 8:20, and of course, started with the first day of school pictures. This time, I included myself, too.




Rabbit went off to work on her stuff (and she was a little disappointed not to be joining us) while I started with the boys. We basically went down the grid in order, except spelling.

So, we did Bible, vocabulary, handwriting, English, math, history, science, reading before lunch. After lunch we did the spelling cycle and art. For Bible, I remembered to get a notebook and write, "What do we learn about God from this passage?" That provoked some good discussion for a couple of fifth graders. 

For the vocabulary card, I found our Greek roots cards from last time, and got those out, and then the boys drew a picture of the word and wrote the definition on my special notebook page. They also wrote three derivatives down. Well, I scribed for Pooh. 

It took a while for Tigger to write down everything for his vocabulary page, so I went ahead and started with Pooh on his handwriting page in his Handwriting Without Tears book. I am finally starting to see some carry-over into spelling. Then Tigger worked on his page, and they both finished about the same time.

We did English as a group today. It was a passage study, so working together on the couch was fine. I probably won't do tomorrow's dictation - they get dictation in spelling, and there is no way Pooh could do that much dictation. Tigger would probably be okay, but we might skip it (shhhh!).

Math was more on adding and subtracting fractions with improper fraction results and such. Pooh decided to stay with Tigger and me to do the workbook. There wasn't much space in the workbook to do the problems, so they would tell me what to write on the whiteboard, and then they copied hte final answers into their workbooks.


History was great. Tigger got bummed that we didn't read more in the Dinosaurs of Eden book. And Pooh had some good insights on things. I had them do their notebook page for the day, and then we set up their History notebooks. That took extra time that we probably won't spend tomorrow. Their History notebooks have the history section in the front, and a Vocabulary section in the back. For their timelines, I taped cardstock together end to end for them to each have their own copy. Then I copied the timeline pieces onto sticky label paper. I saved all the timeline pieces from last time through, so I just made our wall timeline like this:


The timeline itself is just blue Mavalus tape. On the left is the very first piece, right next to the clock on top of the bookshelf. We will just add pieces and year markers as we come to them so we don't have to predict the space we need. I think, based on the first time we did it, it will take up to about 2/3rds of the line for the first year. (Eventually, we had to add a second line when we did this the first time around.)

I forgot to place requests for book basket books until last night, so they didn't do book basket today. But, as soon as I get my e-mail notices I'll be picking up the books.

The boys were anticipating science all day. We started Science in the Beginning. I think they enjoyed it, and it didn't really take all that long to do the experiment and notebooking page. (I, along with someone else on the Facebook Creation to the Greeks group, made some pages in Word to use as notebook pages.) So, we also had to take some time to get their science notebooks setup. Pooh wanted to use a copy of the cover of the book for his cover page. We'll have to see about that.

And then we did reading. I went ahead and just jumped to the 5th grade Pathway reader. We didn't finish all the Abeka 4th grade readers last year, but I felt like we need to just be 5th graders. They both did fine. Pooh still reads a little slower than Tigger, but he is reading fine. After we finish this book, we'll jump into the Abeka 5th grade readers. Tigger actually wanted to finish the story on his own to find out what happened.

All that took us to lunch time. We took an hour break for lunch. After lunch I started the spelling cycle. I started with Rabbit. When she was done, she wanted to tackle Spanish, so that took a few minutes to get Rosetta Stone setup again for her and go over the lesson plan book. Next I worked with Tigger, and then Pooh. Tigger and Pooh work on memorizing verses and doing math drill while I work on spelling with each one. It works kind of like this, spending 15 minutes on each bullet point:
  • Rabbit does Spelling with me, Tigger does math drill, Pooh studies verses
  • Rabbit can move onto whatever she needs, Tigger does Spelling with me, Pooh does math drill
  • Rabbit works on whatever she needs, Tigger studies verses, Pooh does Spelling with me
This generally works really well for us. I moved this to right after lunch so as not to interrupt Rabbit in the middle of something she was working on.

And then finally, we did God and the History of Art and the infamous first lesson - drawing with your mouth:




Neither was successful, and gave up rather quickly, but I think they will appreciate how much work goes into any art.

After this, it was time to work with Rabbit on her stuff. We started with going over all of last week stuff, since we didn't do either daily or weekly meeting. Her paper was very good. We had to go over the lessons in the English Literature Supplement. She had a moment of tears with one thing about find the subject in a sentence. But we shook that off and moved on. I looked over all her history, and as usual she missed about one question per lesson. She started her Exploring World History Project. She chose to write about how her life would change if she was a nomad. It was pretty good. She needs to type it up and everything, but it was a very good start.

And finally, we did the dreaded Math. We're on lesson 44 in Algebra 1. It took a while to work through the explanation, so we only got through question 6 in the problem set. Hopefully we can finish it tomorrow. She was really fried by then. That was 4:30. She still needed to read the Cat of Bubastes reading.

Then at 5:00, Rabbit had piano lesson. 

Like I said, a very looooong day. But overall, successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment