Monday, August 25, 2008

Week 1, Day 5 in ECC

I really like this curriculum. It was a good day. We started by hanging out our flag and doing The Pledge. Then we did cross crawls. We did bulletin board time today. It's funny, because Tigger is such an eager-beaver. He pours himself into it. Pooh, on the other hand... We tried the "Ear-8's," but Rabbit said they made her dizzy, so we did cross-legged toe touches and hamstring stretches instead. We read about Christianity today in Window on the World. It was a good overview. Then we prayed for Christians around the world. She knew our Bible verse for the week.

In Geography we read about scale. The activity was to draw a 1" = 1' scale map of Rabbit's room. However, we couldn't fit it on her paper. So, we scaled down to 1/2" = 1' map. That made it tricky. We used some graph paper that Dad had left over from college. I helped her a lot with this one, as she really didn't understand until we were almost done. I think it showed her how hard map making is. Then we did our Vocabulary cards. I wrote the words on the front, and had her draw the pictures. Then I wrote the definitions on the back for her. We said them a couple of times.

I really need to work with Pooh and Tigger about interrupting. Rabbit and I were looking at the scale on the large world map and the globe, and they kept interrupting with questions and ideas. Some of them were relevant, but some of them weren't. Little boys with such big ideas.

During snack time we did the first track in Power Glide Spanish Jr. Level 3. Then I gave them a 20 minute recess. During that time I made up handwriting sheets for the rest of the letters. I picked out a couple of sheets from The Complete Curriculum for 3rd Grade that I picked up at Sam's Club a few weeks ago. After recess, I did "preschool" with the boys while Rabbit worked on a handwriting sheet and the two sheets from the Complete Curriculum book. She really struggled with the writing for the two answer she had to write on those, so I spent 25 minutes doing the "Writing 8" exercises with her. Then, I had her do book basket time while I made lunch.

After lunch, the boys had nap. Rabbit finished her next math page in about 15 minutes - the best time since the beginning of the year. Poetry and reading were next. We've been reading from the 3rd grade level Pathway reader. Finally, she finished her handwriting sheet from earlier. I also had her write out the grocery list for me. Her handwriting is so neat. But, if she has to think about what she is writing, it is very hard for her.

One thing I have been thinking about is trying to get my hands on the Abeka 3rd grade readers - just to have some good readers around. I'll have to go through Sonlight's catalog and see what they're recommending for 3rd grade readers, and maybe pick up a few of those from the library from time to time.

I did lose my cool once with Rabbit - over writing those answers on the Complete Curriculum pages. That's when I decided to do those "Writing 8's." I felt like she wasn't even trying, or that she was intentionally fighting me on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment