Friday, August 29, 2008

Week 2, Day 4 in ECC

Wow. Today was much better. Last night I wrote out what we had to do today by topic, and I listed which Brain Therapy exercise we would do after each topic. Then, today, I stuck by it. I didn't put time limits on any topic. If something took us 1/2 hour, then it took that long; if it only took 10 minutes, then that was fine.

I really did most of the drawing for the activity for geography, but I made her "drive the car" and give the directions. The boys didn't like Rabbit playing with one of her cars. For science, I let her use tracing paper to trace a picture from the book, then cut it out and glue it to her paper.

After reading through Dianne Craft's web site, I saw where she said to only spend 15 minutes on the writing-eights, then the next day, pick up where you left off. So, we did, and got through about half of them. Eventually, she should be able to get through the whole alphabet in 15 minutes. That really gave me an idea of how fast she should be going around the eight. I also asked for the "Writing without Curriculum" and am going to use that for a while to see if that can help improve Rabbit's writing.

I put the boys down early for a nap. Rabbit finished her math page before the boys fell asleep, but she missed quite a few. I went through them with her and showed her the mistakes. Then we read from a Pathway Reader and did subtraction math windows. She did more than on Tuesday, so that was an improvement.

All in all, I felt less stressed today. Eventually, the exercises will feel like a natural part of our day as long as I stick with it. Next week, on Friday, I am going to do the Repatterning recommended by Dianne Craft. The book says it should take about 20 minutes. Eventually, when our Friday's fall on Friday, it will be easy to work those in as Friday's tend to be lighter in ECC.

No comments:

Post a Comment