Friday, August 17, 2012

1850MOD - end of Week 1

Whew! We made it! Right now there is Apple Crisp baking in the oven as part of our US History Cookbook. I called my husband to find out when he was coming home and mentioned what was in the oven and he said, "That sounds like a good kind of school."

These last two days have had their ups and downs. Yesterday, we did things in the order I wanted. Because the boys don't have English on day 4 of the week, that allowed us to get Bible, Spelling, Reading, Math and Handwriting done by a little after 11:00. Then we did the History. They LOVE, LOVE, LOVE playing state rummy. And they all did better learning the Southern border states, and even Pooh is starting to get the Northern border states better. I think I even squeezed in the science reading yesterday before lunch. Then after lunch I was able to solely focus on Rabbit and her topics. I still need to figure out how to work in going over the Progeny Press guide and Writing Strands with her. Someday it will come to me.

Today was our light day. We did Spelling, Reading, and Math. We also read the chapter of the US History Cookbook that we didn't read on Monday. We also didn't do a nature walk - but the kids have spent a lot of time in the backyard today, so I'm okay with that. Rabbit did her Module 1 Test in Apologia. She really didn't do too bad. She got a 79% - I gave her a 1/2 point for one of her written answers, and she missed 4 of the matching. It is just so hard to keep those scientists straight. There were some tears, but I tried to explain to her that the first test with a new subject is always hard - you are learning how the teacher tests, what kinds of things you need to study, and how much you need to study. I have ordered the Student Notebook that Apologia offers to go with this course. I think it will help her. But, I also think she is going to have to study a little in the evenings or something.

I still need to do some schedule adjustments, but I'm pleased with how it all went.

No comments:

Post a Comment