Thursday, August 30, 2012

1850MOD: Week 3 Days 2 & 3

Trying not to be a slacker in keeping up with the blog.

Let's see, yesterday went pretty well. I think the new order is working okay, except for Rabbit's down time.

So we start with Bible, and I'm really enjoying the Young Person's Guide to Knowing God. For the copywork, Rabbit and Tigger have the verse on the top half of the page, and the lower half is lines for them to write. I expect Rabbit to do it completely in cursive. Tigger will do words where he knows all the letters in cursive. For Pooh, I have the verse in gray (done with StartWrite software) for him to trace. On dictation day, I expect Rabbit to be able to completely write the verse from dictation. For Tigger and Pooh, I give them papers with the harder words filled in and space to write the rest of it. Tigger knows more words, so he has less words filled in. Pooh only has to write the simple words and trace the filled in words.

Rabbit is pretty consistent about getting her independent work done. She even does typing. I do try to find time to check her English and Spelling. I usually get Spelling done with the boys before morning snack, but not always English - which puts us about 20 minutes behind where I'd really like to be. English usually doesn't take us the full 10 minutes each, but the other boy is usually working on Rosetta Stone, so sometimes we take the full 10 minutes so they can finish their Rosetta Stone lesson. 

Reading time is going well. I only schedule 10 minutes for the boys to each read to me. Usually though there is only a half page left to finish the story so we go a little over. I count their Book Basket time as reading, too, at this age.

It is Math that usually takes so long. They've been learning about regrouping (carrying) this week. Tigger picked it up, but Pooh has to use manipulatives to see it. In order to keep him on task I have to sit by him while he does his math book. I was really hoping to use that time to look over Rabbit's stuff. I'm hoping as he gets those math facts better, he'll pick up speed. Handwriting usually doesn't take them too long. 

For History, I've been doing the U.S. Facts and Fun first with the boys, then we did the President sheet. Then I do the advanced History. So far we've not done any of the projects in the Activity Book. The outlines are a little bit tricky, so I'm glad we have the answers. 

Yesterday we read the science for the boys, but the T.M. said the experiment didn't work well and to skip it. And we just talked about what a family tree is and how the boys inherited different traits from me and Dad. 

After lunch we finished up Art (just reading the lesson, not doing it). The boys did book basket while Rabbit did Math yesterday, today they did it while we had History. Yesterday Rabbit had a math test and scored an 85% - much better. My husband said to be a little easier on Rabbit on her math tests, so if she did things like forget to put decimal points or reduce a fraction, I would let her go back and fix them. I wouldn't tell her what the problem was, I would just say, "I think you forgot something here," and then let her see if she could figure it out. I think the fact that I copied it onto graph paper for her really helped that go better. Then today she had a science test and scored a 91%.

Since Rabbit did her science test this morning during her independent time, we had time to work on the Progeny Press stuff and Writing Strands. We finished by 2:00! That is great for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment