Tuesday, August 28, 2012

1850MOD: Week 3, Day 1

Well, we did it. We added in Story of the World, and it went fine. The boys didn't take as long as usual in Math (there was no textbook time, and just 2 pages in the workbook), so that helped. Plus, we got Bible done in a reasonable amount of time, except I forgot to have the kids work on the memory verse for the week - so we did it during English time. 

The boys seemed to enjoy doing the U.S. Facts and Fun books. They each have one. I read the passage, and then they answered the questions. Tigger filled in the blanks by himself. I wrote for Pooh.

Then they did book basket while I did History with Rabbit. The boys could have sat in on today's history, but I'm fine with them not doing so. I had typed up the review questions, but I think I won't do that next week. Rabbit did pretty well answering those. The outline was okay. I'm not sure I 100% agree with how that first outline was written, so I'm sure glad I have the answers to make sure we're going in the right direction. It was already well past noon once we got the map and timeline done, so we didn't do the activity. We did read through it. I'm guessing Rabbit might not do as much of those.

This afternoon I did Math and Science with Rabbit. Today's lesson seemed to have a lot more practice problems. Tomorrow she has a test. I copied the problems onto graph paper, so she has room to work them and won't have to copy from the test page to her paper (that is where some of her mistakes come in). In Science we finished up the module reading and went ahead and finished in the study guide. Then I had her go through the flashcard website to do some studying. I'm wondering if I should rework this week's test into a multiple choice. Writing is such a challenge for her.

While folding laundry after school, I watched a little more of Indoctrination. It made me wonder if Rabbit will really be ready for college in 6 years. I question if I'm preparing her in the right way by making accommodations for her dyslexia. It's not that she is "unmotivated," as some people implied in the movie. (One teacher was talking about how the students are given learning disability labels like "non-reader" so the teacher must accommodate the student to help them pass.) It really is very hard for her and things that should take someone 10 minutes take her 45. I can see she works hard. But, I'm going to keep watching the movie and keep on homeschooling as long as God allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment