Monday, November 3, 2008

Week 10, Day 1 in ECC

Today we started late. I forgot to get our memory verses typed up so we can hang them on the door to the basement. So, that took a while. Plus, I had to print out the "fancy frame" that I have for Rabbit to do her verse copy work. My fault.

We did the Pledge, and then went through Rabbit's new verses for Awana. Then we did Bible time. We read about an interesting native people group that live on the border of Venezuela and Brazil. There are only 19,000 or so of these people left, as many of them have been killed by "white man's" diseases. Then we started on our new memory verse for the week.

Geography was good. We read the pages in the Illustrated World Atlas, and played the Geography Game. We went ahead and added in North America today. I made it a little easier on her, as the cards for North America are white, and the South America cards are neon yellow. But, she got every single country right. We're also at least saying the capital city of the South American countries.

For science we had to do a passage out of each science book. Rabbit decided to draw about the Asian sun bear, as it "looks cute." It was definitely interesting information in the books today. The boys did not join in today. In fact, this morning, Pooh said, "Mom, I'm tired of doing school."

After snack and Spanish, I told Rabbit to start work on her seatwork - she had plenty. I told her we were skipping recess, as we started late. She didn't fuss about it. She had to do her verse copy work, her science page, and her math windows for addition. She didn't miss a single math problem, and wrote 3 backwards only once! A major improvement.

While Rabbit worked on seatwork, I read the next Cubbies section to the boys and we worked on their verse. Then I wiped off "October" from our dry-erase calendar and started November. Pooh was kind of bummed - he wanted to know what came after 32. Then, he wanted me to start November on the first square. I had to explain to him about how calendars worked. Then we looked at the letter "D" and I had them try to think of words that started with the sound /d/. I got lots of /l/ and /p/ words. I'm not too concerned. Next I got out the number puzzle game. The boys usually love that. But, Pooh wouldn't answer me when I had asked him earlier what he wanted for a snack. After 3 times, I decided he didn't want a snack. Well, Pooh was hungry by the time we got to the number puzzle, but I said no. He wailed and wailed, so he got sent to his room. Tigger had a blast matching the halves of the numbers together. He is getting very good at counting peg holes. Then I had him put the pieces in order from 1 to 10. He is getting to know his numbers pretty well.

After that, Rabbit and I did her writing eights. She did them very slowly today, so we only got to "t." Then we did our English lesson - a repeat of the infamous lesson 86. Hopefully that one will sink in by the end of the year. While I started lunch, Rabbit did book basket. I believe she read one of the books to Pooh.

Rabbit decided to do Test 9 for math today - I told her she could do one more practice page, but she decided she was done with this section. She only missed one. She couldn't tell if she should have done 3x9 or 3+9. I told her that she should always draw a picture of the word problem if she isn't sure. Then we did spelling. She only missed one of her words from last week, and didn't miss any from our new group. For reading, we started on our first 3rd grade Abeka book. We read about 11 pages worth. We finished up with music and poetry.

I'm thinking we may have to do our Nature Walk tomorrow, as the weather is turning much colder, with possible rain/snow mix on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Plus, Wednesday is our worship dance day, so it may just be easier to do it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment