Thursday, November 20, 2008

Week 12, Day 3 in ECC

Ahhh, no meetings, no classes, just a regular day.

We started with the usual. Rabbit did a very good job narrating the Bible passage back. We talked about serving Jesus because of all He has done for us.

We read from Illustrated World Atlas about the Northern European countries. That was interesting, and then took a pass at the Geography Game, even though it wasn't scheduled. Rabbit was disappointed about how she didn't do that well (as compared to me), but I try to encourage her that in a couple of weeks, she know it really well.

Then it was time for Spanish. We break the speaking sentences down to words, and then put it together. She still has trouble though, but it is getting better. Then snack time and recess, while I put together a crock pot meal.

I had her work on her Awana book for and multiplication Wrap-Ups for seatwork while I read a story to the boys. We read "The Day Hans Got His Way." The kids thought this was hilarious. It was a pretty funny story. Then they wanted to draw on the easel, so I set them up for that. Rabbit and I did writing-eights, and then she did her writing sentence. Another great job. I think I might have to start increasing it to two. Then we did English - it was a picture study, so that was different than usual.

After lunch, I was about to go out the door, when I saw a bunch of sparrows on the ground by our Russian Sage we have planted out front. Then I saw 3 woodpeckers. I called the kids over to see. Then one of the woodpeckers decided to fly onto the house, so I decided it was time to scare them off (you should see the damage they have done to the neighbor's trim on their house). Anyway, that was our Nature Walk for the day. It was too cold (high of 36 degrees) to do a "real" nature walk. Looking through the window, seeing woodpeckers putting their long beaks into the ground to dig out seeds and bugs was going to have to do for this time.

Rabbit did a math page, and did awesome, while I put the boys down. Then we did spelling, reading, and poetry. We actually finshed by 2:45 today.

Then we went to the library. I was trying to find some more Norwegian books to read to the kids, so I searched online for some titles and went to check them out. Most of them talked about "spirits" or "trolls." (Did you know that Three Billy Goats Gruff will come up when you do a search for Norway?) The spirits were usually evil, and the stories implied that the spirits could actually do things and hurt people. I didn't want those to be in our book basket. The other thing I noticed about a lot of the Norwegian folk tales and stories, is how the woman is usually made the hero, or usually right at the end of the story. Sometimes it almost seemed "feminist". I did find 2 books not on the book basket list that I thought the kids would enjoy. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment