Monday, August 5, 2013

ECC 2nd Edition: Day 1

Whew! Things are taking a lot longer with 3 doing them.

First, it didn't help that we didn't start on time. Will work on remedying that. So, we start with Bible, which was to read from Window on the World. Well, the kids (with their new Bibles) wanted to look up and read all the passages referenced in the introduction. And then my kids are picky about word choices ("Why did they say 'might' in that sentence? Jesus saves everyone who believes."). So that took longer. But, on a good note, they have memorized John 3:16 for AWANA so that's a no-brainer.

Then we did all the Geography activities. Reading from Maps and Globes was fine. But, then filling out the Passport Application - my-oh-my! I had to explain about filling out forms in print instead of cursive. Then, with two dyslexics, I had to spell everything and remind them of birthdays and such. And of course, writing the address on the front of the envelope takes more time. Yes, it is very tempting to do it all myself, but I know it is better for the kids if I let them do it. So I did, and so it took WAY longer than the 20 minutes allotted for Geography.

Next we worked on Science. Reading from Properties of Ecosystems (to be referred to as POE from now on) was fine. Though we had to go over and over all the new vocabulary words. I was tempted to make a vocabulary sheet before we started with all the new words from today. It was a lot to remember. I think I might do that for them as a reference. Then we did the Ecozones activity. Can I just say out loud that there needs to be an answer key for this one? Reading the descriptions of the ecozones in the book was slightly confusing. And then, because the print is rather fine on that green background for these old eyes, I misread some of the boundaries of the ecozones. It's fine. It's just general information for the kids to know, but it would help this type-A person to know whether or not we got the maps right. I definitely would skip this for a 3rd grader and below.

Tigger thought coloring the areas on the map was fun. Oh, and having the placemat maps from Explorers to 1850 or 1850 to Modern Times was handy for the kids to copy ocean names and such onto their maps. Our wall map is in a different area from the table where they were working, so I grabbed those and they used them to copy from. I think those would be a good addition to ECC.

I sent Rabbit off to do her school work while Tigger and Pooh did cursive practice and math. Poor Pooh. He really struggled. I showed him how to do the letters on the whiteboard, and then on his paper. I had him do only 4 copies. We still had some tears. I made sheets in StartWrite software, and they have the arrows to show how to form the letters. I also have them do words with the letters we've covered (or just letter combinations) to work on connections - especially letters like b that have a "tow-truck" (to use Handwriting Without Tears terminology). 

Take a week off of math and my boys almost forget how to add and subtract. Sigh. I ended up having to write the problems on my whiteboard and then have them tell me what step to do next. But, we got it done eventually. 

After lunch I worked with Rabbit on her math. She finished Test 18 in Saxon 8/7 today. We'll keep on working 8/7 until we finish it and then start either Algebra 1/2 or Algebra 1. I'm thinking Algebra 1, which will give her more time before 9th grade starts.

So, tomorrow we will do what we didn't get to today: English, Reading, Spelling, Math and Wee Sing. I'll see how that goes before we add any of the ECC stuff. It may be that doing those things first will work better for us than doing Bible, Geography, and Science first. I also need to check the work Rabbit completed today.

Tonight I will go by the  library to pick up our one book that has come in.

I almost forgot to take first day of school pictures:



The boy on the left in the back is Tigger. The boy on the right in the red shirt is Pooh. The girl is Rabbit. And those nicknames fit their personalities. The dog is Chloe - and yes that is her real name. We call her Klo for short.

No comments:

Post a Comment