Monday, August 12, 2013

ECC 2nd Edition: Day 4

Woo-hoo! We are on a roll - another whole day completed. Not without its challenges, but completed.

Rabbit would like us to do Spelling after Bible. Pooh wants Geography and Science. Tigger doesn't care. Sigh. So, I thought we'd try the "all together" subjects - Bible, Geography, and Science - first, and then the rest. Today was a good day to try because there was no English. (My thought is to get the together stuff done first, so I don't have to pull students back together. But, since I'm always working with at least one of them, it isn't that hard to get the other two, so this could go either way.)

Bible was good - reading God Speaks Numanggang again. We talked a little about how Papau New Guinea was pretty small compared to the U.S. but had so many languages! I'm sure the native Indian tribes also each have languages, but I don't think we have 800! Rabbit was glad we read the book again. Tigger and Pooh kind of checked out a little. That's okay. 

For Geography, we read our pages and then labeled the map as the T.M. directed. That wasn't too bad. I helped Pooh quite a bit as he can't write that small. Tigger just needed a little help for a couple of things. Rabbit just needed to capitalize and fix a spelling. Good thing she did it in pencil. 

Science took a little longer, but partly because we went over the vocabulary from the previous lesson (I made a page in Word). Then we went over today's lesson's vocabulary. Again, I had a vocabulary page printed out. (Another mom on the MFW Message Board did the first 7 weeks and shared it with me. Thanks Andrea!) That made it a little easier as we went through the lessons. We didn't do the worm niche. We've done that three times now in different forms. The kids know what will happen. 

A quick snack break, and then we tackled Spelling (all), Writing Strands (with the boys), Reading (boys), and Math (boys). Rabbit did The Easy Spanish with the boys during Writing Strands time. I shortened that time to 10 minute (instead of 15) because we were already behind. During Math I sat with Pooh again just to keep him on task. Rabbit worked on various things, including her Module 1 test from Apologia Physical Science. She got an 87% on her first test. I told her that wasn't bad for the first test of the year.

I decided to read the first chapter of Kingdom Tales today at lunch. I previewed it yesterday (as recommended in the T.M), and I didn't think it was that intense. Maybe it is because my kids are older (the boys are 9, Rabbit is 13), but they enjoyed it. I did warn the kids before I read it that there may be some scary or sad things, but it was just pretend story. After we read it and answered the questions, Pooh said, "Oh! I get it! The 'Enchanter' is suppose to be Satan." Yep!

After lunch the boys did handwriting and book basket. I went over the letter formation and guided Pooh. Then Rabbit and I did Math. This was lesson 98 (Day 125 in the Lesson Plans). You know, it would have helped my daughter to split this lesson over 2 or 3 lessons. (There were tears.) But, we managed the explanation and the practice set. We were pretty close to an hour at that point, so we'll do the problem set tomorrow. Then I went over her Progeny Press guide answers with her and her Essentials in Writing lesson. 

Pooh had a bad day today. He whined, fussed, or cried over almost every single subject or lesson today. It seemed to be worse when I was helping, but he needed my help then. 

We got done by 2:45 with everything, so that's not a bad day for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment