Wednesday, August 21, 2013

ECC 2nd Edition: Week 2 Day 5

Well, it took most of the day, but we did the day!

We actually started by baking the cake first thing this morning. I knew it would need to cool and we wouldn't get to frost it until later.

Then we did Bible, the vocabulary words, and the Geography lesson. That took us until 9:45. We took a short break and then did Spelling and Math, and just had time to squeeze in reading before lunch. I am very proud of Pooh: he finally got his +1 math facts sheet in under 2 minutes! We all said a cheer for him after that.

After lunch we started frosting the cake. Frosting cakes has never been my forte and no one ever taught me how. I learned you should freeze your cake before frosting, and then expect to do a thin crumb layer.


After that, I did Math with rabbit. It was an investigation, so it didn't take too long. And I looked over her Progeny Press guide answers.

A trip to the libraries to pick up book basket books and a run to the grocery store to get more frosting to finish the cake concluded the afternoon. Oh, but we needed to finish the cake, so we did and made dinner at the same time. (Of course dinner got messed up, but what do you expect when you're multitasking?) I outlined the countries and let the kids fill them in. I found blue frosting at the grocery store and made the green frosting with white frosting and green food coloring. I had some cake decorating tips, so I cut a small corner off a ziploc bag and put the tip in and then put frosting in the bag. It actually worked pretty well.

Our World cake up close.

The kids and their World cake.

1 comment:

  1. Your world cake looks awesome, Trish! I love the 2 round cakes, and the gold board you have it on makes it look professional. I think I just made a 9x13 when we did ECC, but I like the two round ones. I'll have to do that next time. :-) Thanks for your updates. I look forward to reading them everyday.
    Jen (Poohbee on MFW msg. board)

    ReplyDelete