Wednesday, August 7, 2013

ECC 2nd Edition: Day 2

So, I promised the kids we would just do Bible, Geography, and Science, and then whatever else we could fit in our 4 hours for the day, and we'd try my new schedule out on Friday. (Tomorrow we'll get spelling, English, Math, Math Drill, AWANA, Spanish, Typing, Reading, etc.)

We started with Bible, which was a reading about the Garden of Eden in POE. That was good, and I had the kids narrate. Actually, I asked them if they had learned anything new and what it was they learned. That went well, and didn't take very long.

Next we did geography. I read the pages from the Maps and Globes book. Then, we had an old blow-up globe from National Geographic Kids that had a hole in it. So, instead of drawing on oranges, we tried laying that flat. Even after cutting it up, we couldn't. We decided that if we had completely cut each section, we could have laid them flat, but it would be a hard map to follow. Here's a picture of our cut-up globe:



Science was pretty light today, reading out of Living World Encyclopedia. Then I had the kids each make a science page. That turned into a bit of a challenge having three kids share one book. But, it was fine.

After science we did our John 3:16 picture. I have a huge stack of old National Geographic magazines that we got our pictures from. It took quite a bit of time to cut out pictures and glue them, but we got a really nice result:



 I hung it on the wall over our world map as a reminder that everyone in the world needs Jesus.



By this time, it was 10:00, so I let the kids take a snack break. Rabbit went off to do her work, while Tigger and Pooh finished off math from yesterday and did their handwriting. (I'm not making Rabbit do handwriting review, as her handwriting is good.) I also let them read to themselves to finish off the day.

I do feel like today was MUCH lighter, and we really could have done a full school day, but I had already promised the kids yesterday that we would only do part of a day. We still did 4 hours, as our state requires, and Rabbit usually gets in 5 or 6 hours, by the time we do Math and Science (which we will hit this afternoon).

Oh, and I feel VERY blessed. I am getting to purchase Saxon Algebra 1 (3rd edition), Saxon Algebra 2 (2nd edition), and Jacobs Geometry (2nd edition) from a homeschool mom that has graduated all her kids. I feel like as long as they aren't 1st edition, they'll be fine and the price is so good! I'll order the MFW lesson plans for Algebra 1, since the editions are the same. I'll need to find out if the lesson plans MFW has will work for Algebra 2 2nd Edition and Jacob's Geometry 2nd Edition (they show 3rd edition on the web site), or if it would be possible to get old lesson plans from them.  I'm excited about this because it will save me some real money long term. $55 for all 3! The Saxon sets include everything but the videos, which I'm okay with because we didn't like the DIVE CDs. Rabbit prefers me to be her teacher in Math. I don't know for sure what the Jacob's Geometry has, so I may still need to find a teacher's guide and test bank.

[Editing to add: I found out that the Algebra 2 2nd edition has the same content as the Algebra 2 3rd edition. Woo-hoo! I did find out that there were some significant changes between Jacobs Geometry 2nd edition and 3rd edition, so I'm still deciding on what to do about that one.]

No comments:

Post a Comment