Monday, August 19, 2013

ECC 2nd Edition: Week 2 Day 4

Well, the day started out well enough. We actually started on time! We did Bible, then Spelling, Writing, Reading, Math. I was able to keep us pretty much on track. After math we did Geography and Science. I didn't do the Geography activity. If our church and grocery store were just around the corner, that would be one thing. But, they are too far away to try to draw a map with symbols that would be big enough to drive a toy car on. Maybe I'll try it another day, but today was not that day.

Sigh. I lost it today. I just got tired of being interrupted in the middle of reading a science page. I'm trying to process the information too, and to be interrupted just throws me for a loop. I guess my kids forget they need to use manners at home as well as out and about. Well, to make up for it we did the project. We didn't use grass. Our yard has enough trouble as it is without digging up a section of grass (we have HOA rules and city code stuff to worry about). So, we had an ivy plant that was sitting in water that has lots of roots, so we put that in our jar. Our jar is very large - it is one of those plastic containers of Animal Crackers you can get at Sam's Club. Here is a picture:


By this afternoon there was already lots of condensation and huge drops all over the plant. We took off the lid and the kids could see all the drops on the lid, even though it never got wet in the planting process. I may need to take the lid off the jar for a couple of hours to allow for some evaporation and a little less moisture. We'll see if our ivy grows any.

After lunch I did math with Rabbit. That actually went really well, I had my husband talk to her about irrational numbers last Friday, and she read through the chapter again. She did really well with the problem set, too.

I went over her writing and her Progeny Press guide. She's still having a little trouble identifying prepositional phrases. I know that will come with time, though. Then Rabbit read through her science. We'll tackle that experiment some other day. 

Well, that was our day. Always a chance to start over on another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment