Wednesday, August 14, 2013

ECC 2nd Edition: Week 2 Day 1

Okay, so we're on a roll! Another day completed. Well, almost. The boys didn't do their handwriting or book basket. I may have to do a "catch-up" day.

So, I really want to like doing Bible, Geography, and Science first, but it is hard to get done in the specified times, at least right now it is. I know it is hard to pull the kids back together later, especially Rabbit as she might be working on something. But, doing Geography and Science right before lunch might motivate the kids to listen and stay on task instead of veering off onto tangents.

We did manage to get Spelling, English, reading, and Math done, but not until 12:20. And Rabbit got her independent work done, even scoring an 85% on her first English test in Applications of Grammar (go Rabbit!). Pooh decided to try to do math on his own. He worked for about 45 minutes, and did get several problems done, maybe 2/3rds, and then he came and asked me to help him stay on task. I was very proud of him for doing that.

I read the next chapter in Kingdom Tales today. It made me choke up, but we really liked the story, and I think the kids got the point.

In Math we learned about the Pythagorean Theorem today. I thought it was neat how they explained it. I either don't remember that, or it was never explained that way to me. We will probably finish the practice set tomorrow.

Then we did science. We had an experiment. Since Rabbit is so afraid of fire, I did the experiment and let her record it and write down the observations for it. I thought it was pretty cool. Here are the videos that go along with Experiment 2.3:





Normally I would have made her do the experiment, but she is so afraid of fire, that I thought this was best. Oh, I highly recommend using the largest jar you can find for this experiment - I think it is safer. The bottle we mixed the yeast and hydrogen peroxide in was just a .7L water bottle.

1 comment: