Monday, October 6, 2008

Week 7, Day 1 in ECC

Well, I was worried that the first day back from a 3 day weekend (we went camping, again) would be tough, but Rabbit did great today.

We started out with Bible and working on our memory verse for the week. Today we read about a people group that live in Belize, Honduras, and Nicaragua. After reading about Cameron Townsend last week, and how challenging it is to provide a Bible in a native tongue, it was neat to read about a group that does have both the Old and New Testament translated into their language. I think another neat part about Cameron Townsend is how God truly answered prayer and opened doors for him in amazing ways.

Then we did Geography. The first day we go into a "new country" I always include Tigger and Pooh. So, we looked at a map and talked about the different ways we could get from Mexico to Canada. First we talked about taking a boat up the West coast, then taking a train or bus. But, we measured from Mexico City to Calgary, and decided a plane would be the fastest. We set up some chairs, and I was the pilot, and we flew from Mexico City to Calgary. Then, I put the Canada flags in their passports and wrote the date. After this, the boys are "done" with geography and go off to play. Rabbit and I continued on the other geography activities.

Next was science, and about how rivers flow into lakes. She did a great notebook page - I decided to let her use tracing paper. It was only a black and white sketch, but that is okay. I think she really liked today's section, because she talked on and on about it.

After science, we did our snack/Spanish time and a short recess. Then, Rabbit went to work on a x5 drill page I printed off for her, her science page, and her copywork. The boys and I went through their Cubbies story and verse for the week. Then we got out the number pegs toy and practiced counting and matching the numbers to the peg puzzles. They are doing great with it, much to my surprise. I let the boys continue playing with that while Rabbit and I did writing eights and English. She did not complain about them today, and tried to get as far along as possible - we got all the way to "t" today! For English, it was a day to repeat lesson 86. I threw in a couple of extra sentences, to see if she would get the idea, but it hasn't quite sunk in yet.

I hadn't picked up our books on Canada from the library (since we went camping this weekend), so I had Rabbit go finish her seatwork, while I made lunch. No read aloud this week. I am thinking I may have Dad read them to Rabbit at bedtime, as the boys have trouble being quiet through a whole chapter. Plus, the next story isn't quite as gentle as Cameron Townsend.

After lunch, the boys had their quiet time, and Rabbit finished up her seatwork and then we used the right-brained multiplication flashcards to review the x5 math facts. She knows the stories for each fact, she just doesn't have super fast recall. Then, she finished her math page in 10 minutes. Bravo! Tomorrow is our test for this unit. Spelling went well. We only managed to get through the words she missed last week, and she has to re-do one of those. However, I'm glad we'll be moving on. I'm thing about, perhaps on Fridays, having Rabbit study all the words she missed for the week, to kind of help for Monday. We did reading, and then moved on to a new poem: Discontent. I really like it, and I think she did to.

Anyway, after all that, we finished by 2:30. That's really good for us. We started late this morning, and reviewing her new Awana verses took extra time today. I'm pleased about how this day went.

No comments:

Post a Comment