Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Week 9, Day 2 in ECC

Do you notice that making the geography game takes a lot more time than what is usually scheduled for geography? I didn't make my map in advance. Rabbit and I wrote our numbers on our maps, and then she went off and colored her map. Meanwhile, I was making the game cards. It just takes time. And then I still had to color my map. We used the laminating machine this time, as I don't like wrinkly contact paper.

Science was good. We used grass seeds (because we had some) for the experiment. We'll see if they work, as my husband said they were old.

The boys begged for preschool again. Pooh figured out how to write his name. Some of the letters were backward, and quite spread out across the page, but he did do it, with no prompting or help from me. We practiced counting on the calendar, and then I got a mini-whiteboard out and played a bunch of different games. We matched uppercase A, B, and C to lowercase a, b, and c. We matched numbers to groups of dots. We talked about the number of sides each shape have, and then they went and found things with those shapes. And, I let them draw on the whiteboard. That was the big hit of the day.

The rest of school - math, spelling, reading, English, dictation, Spanish and art was great, too. For math, we're working on skip-counting by 9's. I'm using some of Dianne Craft's tricks for that. In spelling, Rabbit missed "clothes" again, and then "through." For English, I typed up Lesson 94, putting blanks for Rabbit to write in. Then I had her dictate her answers to me, and then she copied my answers back into the blanks. She did great with the memory verse dictation. We're almost done with "More New Friends." A friend of mine has loaned us her Abeka 3rd grade readers, so we'll be starting those soon. (Thanks DY!)

The art project was weird. I cut the straw as explained in the book, and could make the sound (kind of sounded like a duck call), but Rabbit cannot make the straw buzz at all. But, she is having fun decorating as I type.

Really, things went great today (and I even got 2 blog entries up).

No comments:

Post a Comment