Sunday, September 14, 2008

Week 4, Day 2 in ECC

Sorry this is up late. We went camping this weekend at San Luis Lakes State Park - near the Great Sand Dunes of Colorado. I'll be counting that as our Nature Walk for tomorrow, as we spend a couple of hours hiking at the Sand Dunes. I even have a cool picture of a bug from the Dunes. Pictures to follow.

Now, as far as this day went...

We started with our usual Pledge, Awana Verses, and cross-crawls, and then we got into our Bible discussion. We talked about how the verses today covered Jesus' ancestry. Then, I drew on the board Rabbit's ancestry. I told her my grandmother said we're related to people that came over from the Mayflower, but I don't have the family tree information.

I did the memory verse dictation with her. She doesn't like dictation, but since she had copied the verse the day before, I didn't mind. I let her pick words for her word bank, and wrote those on a small white board. She did fine with it.

In Geography we did the "Problem Solving Challenge" and she did it! I was impressed. She almost messed up, but realized it half-way through a state, so she just changed the color. We're still working on those state names, but she got 40 right today.

For science, we did our reading, and she drew some pictures of the spadefoot toad and its different stages.

We got through the next lesson in Math - multiplying by 0 and 1. She even did the quiz and got a 100%. Next is skip counting by 2, 5, and 10 - stuff we've been doing for 2 years, so we'll probably just watch the video, and have her do one Systematic Review page. If she's up for the quiz, we'll do it. A fun homeschool moment - I was quizzing her on her times 0 and 1 facts on the way home from the grocery store. I asked her, "What's 1 times 285." She said, "285." Then I asked her, "What's 0 times 47,846,047,102." She said, "0." So I said, "See how many multiplication facts you know now? You know up to infinity." Then we had a long discussion on what infinity is.

For spelling, she only got 1 from the list of the day before right. Then, we reviewed all the words she missed this week. MFW suggests on Monday, retesting all the words missed the previous week, to check retention. So, we worked on those.

We started working on the "American Quilt" art project. She was very excited about it. We were running short of time, however, and we couldn't find a brush to brush the glue on. (I still haven't found one.) So, we'll have to see when we can finish that. Since we did our Nature Walk for tomorrow yesterday, I'll see if we can work on it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment