Thursday, September 25, 2008

Week 5, Day 5 in ECC - Light and not so independent

Our day went like this...

Start with the Pledge and Awana verses. (The boys won't say the pledge with us, so I'm hoping they'll learn it by osmosis.) Then we did the Bible lesson. We talked about making sure we read the verses in context. The only thing was, the teacher's manual talked about some of God's promises have an "if" with them. But, in both versions of the Bible we read (NASB, and NIrV), there was no "if." There was a subtle implication, but not an ourtright, "If you do this, then I God will do that."

After Bible we did our geography vocabulary words. I sketch, Rabbit colors and writes a definition. She does pretty good summaries, as she doesn't like to write. Then we did our visual repatterning and reading time. During snack time, we listed to our Spanish CD, and then they were off for recess.

After recess, I did preschool with the boys, while Rabbit worked on completing one of her Discovery sections. We read "Cactus Soup" today. They liked that, and we talked about making it for our Mexican Fiesta next week. After that we worked on the Geography Packet. We tried using the Encyclopedia Britanica that I bought for the computer to find out mountain heights, but wikipedia was a much better and faster source. While I fixed lunch, the kids watched "Families of Mexico" - a DVD I got from the library. It was very good. It showed one family living in the city, and another in the country in Mexico. Rabbit enjoyed it.

While I was putting the boys down for their nap, Rabbit watched the next lesson, x10, and then proceded to say, "I want to take the test. I know how to multiply by 10." So I let her. She got an A. The problems she missed were addition/subtraction problems, not multiplication problems. I think on both problems she missed, she started out subtracting, and then switched to adding the second column, or vice versa. For spelling, she missed "job" again, spelling it "gob." Then we went onto the next list. She missed "hundred" and "ugly" in the next list. But, she got most of them right today.

Then we finished up with music and art. "Tingalayo" is stuck in our heads! The "not so independent" part came with art. I got her started with the "yarn art" project, and then got the boys up and had to do some work on the computer (a new one - trying to get all our old files moved over, etc.). I was interrupted twice because the yarn wouldn't go where she wanted it to. That got frustrating. I guess I overestimated her abilities once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment