Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Week 6, Day 3 in ECC

Today, we managed to start early. We got through our Awana verses. Rabbit says she wants to do more than the 3 sections I've put up on the school door, but I told her, we only have time to do 3 during school. If she wants to do more, she can, though. For Bible time, we talked about how the disciples just stopped what they were doing and followed Jesus. Just trying to imagine what that would be like for us, today.

Geography time was a review of the Mexican flag. She was suppose to color the flag. We looked through some of our book basket books to find a good picture to use to color the details in the Mexican flag. But, I made her save the actual coloring for seatwork time.

We had extra time, since today is Nature Walk day, and I decided we were going to go to Cherry Creek State Park for lunch and do our Nature Walk there. So, I decided that we should get spelling done. That was a mistake! Our first tears in many weeks of school. I'm not sure why. I don't get upset with her when she misses words anymore, but she got upset with herself. We're still working through Review Test 1. These are all words we've had before. She only missed 2 in 5 minutes (except, and soft), but she cried through the whole thing. She was upset that I was testing her again on words I had already tested her on.

We are working on Power Glide Spanish Level 3. It has really stepped up this year. We usually go through the book 3 or 4 times a year. The first time through I don't really grade anything or have her do the performance challenges. She needs to get an overview of the whole thing before trying to do it herself. But man, they step up, and don't explain some of the grammar rules and such. Makes for a challenge.

For preschool, I worked worked with the boys some more on their Awana verse, but they sure didn't seem all that eager. It's an easy verse, but they sure didn't want to pay attention. Neither of them seemed interested in doing anything with Mom today. Oh well, they'll miss it, and tomorrow they'll want to do tons of stuff.

Rabbit wrote a great sentence for her writing today. I don't think she sees it yet, but those writing eights really seem to open up her mind. She even went back and corrected spelling (unprompted!) and such for her sentence. I gave her 15 points for working so hard on it.

Rabbit did book basket while I got things ready for our Nature Walk. We went to a different picnic area today at Cherry Creek State Park. We stopped and sketched ducks and I got several pictures of birds. We even saw some pelicans and storks. Here are a couple of pictures from today's nature walk:



After we got home, Rabbit worked on math and poetry, and then we added a couple of more layers of newspaper to our pinata, and hung it outside to dry. Hopefully, it will be dry enough tomorrow to paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment