Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Week 5, Day 3 in ECC

After the usual morning routine, we did our Bible lesson. I suppose the point of looking up the Old Testament verses that are referenced in the New Testament is to show prophesy fulfilled. I tried explaining that to Rabbit, but I'm not sure she got it.

Yesterday, I copied the map of the continent of North America on to card stock, and drew the circles for the pennies - I knew there was no way Rabbit could finish all that in 20 minutes or so. So, I completed my map yesterday, and then all she had to do was color hers. While she was working on coloring, I made the game cards. When we were done, I laminated with some Contact(tm) paper. Then I briefly explained how to play the Geography Game.

After that we did Spanish and then our Nature Walk. We did our neighborhood walk today. But it was pretty cool, anyway. The kids noticed the water level at the creek was way down. We stopped at one of the bridges, and I sketched some rocks and cattails. Then we went down to the other bridge. There weren't even any dragonflies out or water bugs out. We headed toward home, but we saw some beautiful fall flowers on the way. We also saw a strawberry patch with strawberries growing. We had seen the patch before, but there were no strawberries. Rabbit stopped and sketched a strawberry. That was pretty cool for the kids to see the strawberries. They were really small strawberries. Tigger was into just about every rock on the way home. Here is one flower we saw on our Nature Walk:


Rabbit finished her notebook page when we got home, and then we did writing eights, English and writing. For the English assignment, I typed it up on the computer and made it more like a typical worksheet. I think it is good to have one of those every now and then. It was an easy fill-in-the-blank type sheet.

After lunch, Rabbit worked on her math. She did the next two pages in about 20 minutes - a new record for her. Then I had her teach me how to multiply by two. She gets the concept. She really wants to do the quiz for this section and move on. I talked to her about the importance of really mastering those math facts. She said she understood. I also had her do Math-U-See's online drill for x0, x1 and x2 - she only missed one, because she hit enter twice too fast once.

Spelling was great today. She missed "which" again, but then finished the rest of Group 3 without missing a single word. She was disappointed that she missed it, but I think she'll know how to spell it tomorrow. She was also excited that she finished a group. When she realized how many words she got right, that really helped her self-confidence. I also noticed, again, how she is really trying hard to say each sound as she writes it.

I found our reader, so we read another section in that and did our poetry, and we were done!

As I said to a friend last night, "I think we finally found 'gentle'." I mean, "gentle" as in Charlotte Mason's gentle approach to school.

I am a bit concerned about tomorrow. We add in Worship Dance - which is right at noon. That means I have to move lunch back to 11:00. I warned Rabbit today that dance class would be recess, so we wouldn't do recess tomorrow morning. We'll have to see how it goes. I may need to try to make light and independent days fall on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment