Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Week 4, Day 1 in ECC

Okay, so coming off a "Light and Independent Friday" yesterday, to a full Monday schedule today (which is Wednesday) is quite a shock to the system. It took us a while to get everything done. Mostly it was Rabbit needing extra time to get the copy of the memory verse done and the extra time we spend on math. Everything else really went quite smoothly.

Tigger and Pooh have come down with colds. Nothing major, but makes them a bit more clingy, and harder for me to work with Rabbit.

During Geography, we're suppose to review the state names. Rabbit got 40 right today - an improvement of 5 over the last time we played. She got Nebraska/Nevada right this time. I told her to remember Nevada has a "V" in it, and the lower part of the state of Nevada looks like a "V." I have to remember I have a United States puzzle map, where most of the pieces are in the shapes of the states, and see how fast she can put it together. It would be a nice change from our state game.

For math, we started Gamma today. I had watched the video yesterday, and read through the teacher's manual. I let Rabbit watch it today, and then we practiced what he showed. I know in the past she had understood the concept of multiplication, but she seemed confused at first. Then I showed her 1 x 3, and for some reason, that clicked for her. So, she did Lesson 1A, and asked to do the test. I said sure. She got a 100%. Then we talked about why 1 times any number is always that number, and 0 times any number is always 0. She wanted to take Test 2, also, but I said, let's at least wait until tomorrow. I'm not really worried about her understanding the concept, but, I think it will take us time to master the facts. In light of that, I ordered Dianne Craft's multiplication cards. I also order her number cards for future use with right-brained Tigger.

For English, we were suppose to do Lesson 84 from Primary Language Lessons. The original lesson was a letter from a boy who had found a pocket knife at last Sunday's picnic and was asking his friend if he had lost one. We were suppose to write a response to that. Well, Rabbit can NOT relate to pocket knives, and wouldn't have a clue how to describe one. I figured that we'd have a big emotional road block to the lesson as written. So, I made up a letter from her friend at Awana's, saying she found a Bible and was wondering if Rabbit had lost hers. Then we talked about how to describe Rabbit's Bible. Tomorrow we'll actually write the letter in response.

No comments:

Post a Comment